Sunday, September 18, 2011

Blog Post 4

100 Ways to Use Your iPod to Learn and Study Better

I will admit, I definitely do not use this device to it's full potential. The most I use my iPod for is music and a game or two. I was amazed at the list of study accessories that was provided, and I'm sure there are hundreds more.

Just as it's nice to have music on the go, it's also nice to have study guides, tutorials, and much more on the go as well. Even nicer is the fact that an iPod is small and much more portable than a laptop. Laptops can be heavy and bulky, and they are not always convenient to carry with you everywhere you go. An iPod is an easy fix for that.

The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom

Podcasting appears to be a very useful tool, especially outside of the classroom. In a case where a student is sick/absent, they have the ability to stay caught up by listening to a lecture or study material via podcasts. Or even if the student was present and they just want a "refresher," they can access the material just as easily.

Podcasting seems to add a little excitement to the learning experience as well. Students can be creative with it and take on different roles, which would definitely make it more memorable. Also, I remember I was incredibly intimidated every time I had to present in front of the classroom. With podcasting, I think it would help those that are just too shy to speak to the whole class.

Judy Scharf's Benefits of Podcasting

Although this list was short, it made me think of the other podcasts I listened to from our list of resources. Judy Scharf mentions the benefit of enhancing the students' communication skills. One thing that stood out to me while listening to the different podcasts was how well the students spoke. They spoke at a pace that was easy to follow. They projected their voice so that we could hear them well enough. They also enunciated their words distinctly. I can't tell you how many adults I speak to that I have to constantly ask to repeat themselves because they either spoke too fast or I simply couldn't understand them. So these are a few tips I will definitely be conscious of when I produce my own podcasts.

2 comments:

  1. I hope these helped in your preparation for your podcast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not have an iPod unfortunately but I do see the benefits it can have in the classroom. It is a portable resource that is very reliable. A student can find any information in the palm of their hands. I wish all students could own a iPod because it will enhance their learning.

    ReplyDelete